Housing for older people - best practice, guides and resources
The need for an integrated approach
There is increasing recognition of the importance of housing and neighbourhoods to the health and wellbeing of older people, and the need for integrated approaches across housing, health and social care to deliver better outcomes.
Supporting both commissioners and providers
Here at IPC, we have developed guidance and good practice briefings to support strategic and operational work in this field, particularly around extra care housing. We have supported both commissioners and providers to understand their current services better and to evaluate how well they deliver outcomes for older people locally. We’ve helped them to plan for the future, including redesigning services.
Planning, designing and delivering housing that older people want
IPC produced a guide to Strategic Housing for Older People (SHOP) for the Housing LIN which provides a framework and tools for councils, public and private sector developers and providers to develop their strategic approach to housing for older people and take the initiative in designing and building homes that older people want.
Examples of our work
- A state of the nation report, Extra Care Housing in Wales, for Housing LIN Cymru to provide an up-to-date picture of the current supply, challenges and issues for future provision of extra care housing in Wales
- Research and recommendations for the Guinness Partnership about what changes needed to be made across all their services to become a dementia friendly organisation
- A study of the local area economic impact of retirement living developments for McCarthy and Stone
- A range of briefing papers for the Housing LIN including Active Ageing and the Built Environment considering good practice in how to link the built environment to the important priority of active ageing
- Developing a strategic approach for future funding of housing and care services for the Maritime Charities Funding Group in the context of national policy and demographic changes, and the impact this is likely to have for the design of buildings and services, and the way individual maritime charities plan for the future.